While it is difficult to definitively rank photographers due to the subjective nature of art, the following list includes some of the most renowned and influential Czech photographers known for their work in the field of art photography. These photographers have contributed to the rich cultural and artistic history of Czechia and have earned international recognition for their work.
- Josef Sudek (1896-1976): Known as the "Poet of Prague," Sudek's atmospheric black-and-white images of the city and its surroundings have made him one of the most famous Czech photographers of all time.
- František Drtikol (1883-1961): A pioneer of modernist photography, Drtikol is known for his innovative use of light and shadow, as well as his striking portraits and nudes.
- Jaroslav Rössler (1902-1990): A prominent figure in Czech avant-garde photography, Rössler's abstract compositions and experimental techniques influenced generations of photographers.
- Jan Saudek (b. 1935): Known for his provocative and often controversial images, Saudek's distinctive style combines elements of surrealism, symbolism, and eroticism.
- Josef Koudelka (b. 1938): A member of the prestigious Magnum Photos agency, Koudelka's powerful images of the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia and his later work documenting the Romani people have earned him international acclaim.
- Miroslav Tichý (1926-2011): A reclusive and eccentric artist, Tichý captured candid scenes of everyday life in his hometown using homemade cameras and lenses, creating a unique, dreamlike aesthetic.
- Jindřich Štreit (b. 1946): Known for his documentary photography, Štreit focuses on capturing the lives of people in rural areas, often in stark black-and-white images that convey a sense of empathy and connection.
- Antonín Kratochvíl (b. 1947): A renowned photojournalist and portrait photographer, Kratochvíl has worked for major publications like Vogue and Rolling Stone, and his work has been exhibited internationally.
- Tono Stano (b. 1960): A prominent figure in Czech contemporary photography, Stano is known for his minimalist, high-contrast black-and-white images that often feature the human body.
- Michaela Čejková (b. 1988): An emerging talent in the Czech photography scene, Čejková's work combines elements of fashion, portraiture, and fine art photography.
While these photographers are among the best from Czechia, the country has a rich photographic history with many other talented artists worth exploring.