Japan has produced many talented photographers throughout history. Here is a list of some of the top Japanese photographers you should know:
- Daido Moriyama (born 1938) - Known for his high-contrast, black-and-white street photography, Moriyama captures the grittier side of Japanese urban life.
- Nobuyoshi Araki (born 1940) - Araki is a prolific and controversial photographer, known for his erotic and intimate images, as well as his exploration of Japanese culture.
- Hiroshi Sugimoto (born 1948) - Sugimoto is a contemporary artist and photographer known for his long-exposure seascapes and minimalist architectural photographs.
- Rinko Kawauchi (born 1972) - Kawauchi's work is characterized by a poetic and dreamlike quality, often capturing the beauty of everyday moments.
- Eikoh Hosoe (born 1933) - A prominent figure in post-war Japanese photography, Hosoe is known for his surrealist and avant-garde approach to the medium.
- Shomei Tomatsu (1930-2012) - Tomatsu was a leading figure in Japanese photography, capturing post-war Japan and its transformation throughout his career.
- Masahisa Fukase (1934-2012) - Known for his deeply personal and emotional work, Fukase often explored themes of loss and loneliness in his images.
- Yasuhiro Ishimoto (1921-2012) - Born in the United States, Ishimoto moved to Japan and became a prominent photographer, known for his street photography and architectural images.
- Miyako Ishiuchi (born 1947) - Ishiuchi is a contemporary photographer known for her images focusing on the human body, memory, and the passage of time.
- Takashi Homma (born 1962) - Homma is a contemporary photographer whose work spans genres, including landscape, architecture, and portraiture.
These photographers have made significant contributions to the world of photography and have greatly influenced the medium in Japan and beyond.