The period from 2010 to 2020 has been an exciting time for contemporary art, with many artists making significant contributions to the field. While determining the "best" artists is subjective, here is a list of some influential and celebrated artists who have made an impact during this period:
- Ai Weiwei (China) - A prominent artist and activist, Ai Weiwei is known for his thought-provoking installations, sculptures, and films that often address political and social issues in China and beyond.
- Yayoi Kusama (Japan) - A leading figure in the art world, Kusama's work includes painting, sculpture, installation art, and performance. Her polka dots and infinity rooms have gained international recognition.
- Banksy (United Kingdom) - The mysterious street artist Banksy is renowned for his evocative and often controversial stenciled graffiti art, which touches on political and social issues.
- KAWS (United States) - Brian Donnelly, known as KAWS, is a multimedia artist who initially gained fame for his street art and designer toys. His work, including large-scale sculptures and paintings, features recurring motifs and characters.
- JR (France) - A photographer and street artist, JR is known for his large-scale, black-and-white photographs that are often pasted on buildings and public spaces worldwide. His work focuses on social and political issues, aiming to give a voice to marginalized communities.
- Olafur Eliasson (Denmark/Iceland) - A prominent installation artist, Eliasson works with light, color, and natural elements to create immersive experiences that often address environmental issues.
- Njideka Akunyili Crosby (Nigeria) - A visual artist who specializes in mixed media, Akunyili Crosby's work explores themes of cultural identity, migration, and the African diaspora.
- Anish Kapoor (India/United Kingdom) - Known for his large-scale sculptures and installations, Kapoor often explores themes of space, form, and perception, creating visually captivating experiences.
- Cindy Sherman (United States) - A renowned photographer and filmmaker, Sherman is famous for her conceptual self-portraits, often exploring themes of identity, gender, and the role of women in society.
- Kara Walker (United States) - A contemporary artist known for her cut-paper silhouettes and large-scale installations, Walker addresses themes of race, gender, and history in her provocative work.
Please note that this list is not exhaustive, and many other talented artists have emerged and made significant contributions to the art world between 2010 and 2020. The artists mentioned above are just a few examples of the diverse and vibrant contemporary art scene during this period.